To My Fellow Community Members,
As some of you may know last month marks the end of the 2014-2016 AHA Board of Trustees term. I would like to fill you in on some of the accomplishments and strides we have made as an organization, as well as, a community over these past two years.
First off I want to thank our volunteers, staff, members, patrons and my fellow board members for your their dedication, hard work, support and love. Without our collective effort and dedication to the true meaning of community we would not be in the position we are today.
Over the past two years we have seen many changes. I am glad to report we have increased services, maintained and bettered our facilities and have greatly improved our organizations fiscal health. Below are a few highlights from our previous term.
- Paid off an additional $80,000 in equity on the Hicksville Mandir’s mortgage
- Conducted minor renovations and much needed repairs to the Flushing Mandir
- Conducted over $60,000 in renovations to the Hicksville Mandir and Community Center including:
- Installed a new canopy
- Renovated the main entrance and shoe room
- Updated our Ladies’ and Men’s Restrooms
- Renovated the kitchen and brought it up to local code and safety standards
- Acquired 250 new banquet quality and style chairs, for the large hall, at no cost to the temple
- Installed a heating system in the lobby, small hall and restrooms
- Completely renovated the small hall
- Repainted the entire interior of the building
- Switched from oil to gas making the facility more environmentally friendly as well as more cost efficient
- Installing a brand new door to the large hall (expected installation by June 2016)
- Changed the lights and fixtures in both halls
- Redid parts of the roof and eliminated existing leaks
- Installed two new sheds in the back
- Modernized and adopted much needed changes to our bylaws
- Increased member participation
- Increased bookings and revenue in the halls
- Streamlined the booking process for prayers and the hall rentals
- Created a Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC committee to execute the purchase of a facility in the DC Metro Area and have made an offer to a property to be used as our Temple in MD/VA.
- Supported YAHA which has drastically increased youth involvement and has established a strong and meaningful scholarship fund
- Held two successful Diwali Melas as well as multiple religious and cultural events
- Relaunched and revamped our websites and social media page
- I am also glad to report these repairs, renovations, and increased services have paid for themselves with fundraising and increased revenue generation. When our term began the organization was in good financial health. I can say with confidence we are transitioning with it in an even better state.
Again, this was not the work of one individual. It was not the work of just this board. Our entire community has contributed to these changes. Each of you have played a vital role in helping make this one of the most successful boards this organization has ever seen. I am proud to have served alongside my fellow board members and I feel that the progress we have made will last for generations to come.
Thank you again for everyone’s hard work and dedication.
Jai Mata Di!
With great sorrow, we regret to inform you of the passing of Shri Savinder Kumar Bhasin in New York.
His funeral rituals & cremation services will be held on Monday April 25th 2016 between 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM at:
Fresh Pond Crematory
61-40 Mt. Olivet Crescent
Middle Village, NY 11379
Phone: (718) 821-9700
In his memory a Choutha Bethak will be held on the same day Monday April 25th 2016 between 6:00PM to 8.00PM at:
AsaMai Hindu Temple & Community Center
80 East Barclay Street
Hicksville, NY 11801
Phone: (516) 433-4388
The Choutha Bethak will be held by:
– Parmila Bhasin – Wife
– Sudhir and Savera Bhasin – Son and daughter-in-law
– Anil and Salonia Chandihok – Son-in-law and daughter
– Sona Ram Bhasin – Uncle
– Roshan and Nina Bhasin – Uncle and Aunt
– Gulzari and Neeta Sahni – Brother-in-law and sister
– Sandeep and Seela Kohli – Brother-in-law and sister-in-law
– Ram Saran and Saroj Bhasin – Uncle
– Ashok and Rajni Bhasin – Uncle
– Sheila Devi Chandihok – Aunt
– Sajed and Natasha Sahni – Nephew
– Sukhi and Simple Singh – Niece
– Shamil and Tina Bhasin – Cousin
– Sunil and Sangeeta Kumar – Cousin
– and respective family members.
The grieved family can be reached at (718) 939-5754:
Our condolences are with the grieved family.
Jai Mata Di!
Donations For AsaMai Hindu Temple & Community Center:
Please click the link for donating online:
The Afghan Hindu Association (AHA) Board meeting will be held at AsaMai Hindu Temple & Community Center, 80E Barclay Street, Hicksville, NY on Thursday April 28, 2016 at 7:30 pm.
The agenda will be to:
- Transition of the Board to the New Board Members for the 2016-2018 Term.
- New Board Member Oath- with Pandit Madan/Mani
- Elections of Officers by New Board Members
- Update/Review by Exiting President – Kashi Suchdeve
- Handover Operations to the New President/New Board
- New Board’s Agenda
- Please let me know if any additional items for Agenda.Kawal/Manoj, it will be great if you can join physically at least every few months, otherwise please make sure to connect via conference call.
PS: Rajinder please confirm receipt of annual membership dues from ALL new Board members.
We wish all our members a very and prosperous new Samvat and a festive Vaisakhi. We will be holding our annual Vaisakhi Mela on Sunday April 17, 2016 at 2:00PM. Please join us with all your family members.For the upcoming term of the Board (2016-2018) the following members of the community have been nominated and elected without contest . This year, in order to accommodate increased participation from NJ, MD, VA and DC members, the Board under a resolution increased the number of Board members to 13.
All the following 12 nominees will be joining the 2016-18 term of the Afghan-Hindu Association Board without contest at the Vaisakhi Mela on Sunday April 17, 2016:
1. Suraj P. Tschand – NJ
2. Anju Kakkar
3. Balram Kakkar
4. Gobind Bathija
5. Anup Bhasin
6. Janak Raj Lund
7. Sahil Mehra
8. Sunish Suchdeve
9. Mathew Bathija
10. Kawal Kapoor – VA
11. Manoj Kapoor – MD
12. Nindi Vig